Looking for Medicare health plan coverage offered through your organization? Start here with groups who offer Kaiser Permanente Washington Medicare plans.
Health plans for Public Employees Benefit Board (PEBB) members, including school employees.Learn more
These videos will help you learn about when and how to enroll, where to find important information, Medicare star quality ratings*, and much more.*
Are you a Medicare beneficiary receiving health benefits from your employer? Learn about eligibility requirements, enrollment periods, how to avoid penalties and obtain helpful resources and phone numbers.
For Medicare beneficiaries who receive group health care coverage from their employer, union or trust fund: Follow 4 simple steps to prepare for Medicare enrollment to meet deadlines and avoid late enrollment penalties.
What is Medicare Part B? We'll explain what it covers, when to enroll, and why to enroll.
Learn about the Medicare Star Quality Rating System and how to use the ratings to compare Medicare health plans when choosing a plan. Plus, discover how to take advantage of the 5-star special enrollment period!
If you're approaching 65 and get health coverage through your employer, this checklist will help you choose the right Kaiser Permanente plan for you, meet your enrollment deadlines, and avoid late enrollment penalties.
Let's get started: Mark your calendar with your initial enrollment period
Your initial enrollment period is the first time you can enroll in a Medicare health plan. It lasts 7 months—the 3 months before your 65th birthday, the month of your birthday, and the 3 months after.
4-6 months before you turn 65
3 months before you turn 65
When you turn 65, and up to 3 months after
Original Medicare doesn't cover all expenses
Original Medicare (Parts A and B together) only covers about 80% of hospital and medical expenses. You might have to pay the remaining 20% out of pocket and purchase a stand-alone prescription drug plan.
Kaiser Permanente offers Medicare Advantage health plans that deliver more coverage than Original Medicare
With Kaiser Permanente's Medicare Advantage health plans, you get Parts A and B, plus Part D or commercial prescription drug coverage, and additional benefits, such as vision, optional dental, and hearing.
You get convenient all-in-one Medicare health plans with Kaiser Permanente
We offer hospital care, medical services, and prescription drug coverage, all in one plan.
Medicare Star Quality Ratings help you compare Medicare plans
Each year Medicare assigns ratings to Medicare Advantage and stand-alone Prescription Drug plans nationwide based on plan performance in categories such as preventive care, prescription drug services, and member satisfaction.1
You need information on your Medicare card to enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan
Once you're eligible, sign up as soon as you can for Medicare Parts A and B so you can get your Medicare card. It may take up to two months. You'll need information on your card to enroll in a Medicare Advantage (Part C) health plan.
Know your initial enrollment period
Your initial enrollment period begins 3 months before your 65th birthday and ends 3 months after.
Be aware of late enrollment penalties
You may have to pay a late enrollment penalty if you enroll beyond 3 months after your 65th birthday.
You can get premium-free Medicare Part A through your spouse
If your spouse worked for at least 10 years and had Social Security taxes withheld, you may be able to get premium-free Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance). If you aren't eligible for premium-free Part A, you may be able to buy Part A.
You may qualify for Medicare if you have a disability
If you have a disability that qualifies for Medicare, such as end-stage renal disease (ESRD), you may qualify for Medicare, even if you're under 65.
Avoid being billed twice
As soon as your enrollment in a Kaiser Permanente Medicare health plan is approved, cancel the non-Medicare plan you were previously enrolled in. If you don't, you'll have to pay the premiums for both plans.